Procedures and Policies for using various Facilities of College.
BE RESPECTFUL! Always treat the computer lab equipment AND your teacher and classmates the way that you would want your belongings and yourself to be treated.
No food or drinks near the computers. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Enter the computer lab quietly and work quietly. There are other groups and individuals who may be using the computer lab. Please be respectful.
Surf safely! Only visit assigned websites. Some web links can contain viruses or malware. Others may contain inapropriate content. If you are not certain that a website is SAFE, please ask a teacher or other adult.
Clean up your work area before you leave. All cords should be placed on the tables (not hanging off the sides). Headphones should be placed on the CPU/tower or monitor. Chair should be pushed under the tables. All trash, papers, and pencils should be picked up.
Do not change computer settings or backgrounds.
Ask permission before you print.
SAVE all unfinished work to a cloud drive or jump drive. Any work that is saved to the computer will be deleted when the computer is powered off or updated at the end of the day.
If you are the last class of the day, please POWER DOWN all computers and monitors.
- Follow directions. Come to lab prepared to perform the experiment. Follow all written and verbal instructions. When in doubt, ask.
- Absolutely no horseplay. Be alert and attentive at all times. Act like an adult.
- Report all accidents, injuries or breakage to the instructor immediately. Also, report any equipment that you suspect is malfunctioning.
- Dress appropriately. Avoid wearing overly-bulky or loose-fitting clothing, or dangling jewelry that may become entangled in your experimental apparatus. Pin or tie back long hair and roll up loose sleeves.
- Use goggles:
- when heating anything.
- when using any type of projectile.
- when instructed to do so.
- Use equipment with care for the purpose for which it is intended.
- Do not perform unauthorized experiments. Get the instructor’s permission before you try something original.
- Be careful when working with apparatus that may be hot. If you must pick it up, use tongs, a wet paper towel, or other appropriate holder.
- If a thermometer breaks, inform the instructor immediately. Do not touch either the broken glass or the mercury with your bare skin.
- Ask the instructor to check all electrical circuits before you turn on the power.
- When working with electrical circuits, be sure that the current is turned off before making adjustments in the circuit.
- Do not connect the terminals of a battery or power supply to each other with a wire. Such a wire will become dangerously hot.
- Return all equipment, clean and in good condition, to the designated location at the end of the lab period.
- Leave your lab area cleaner than you found it.
- Make sure you are familiar with all the safety information given to you about each experiment before starting the experiment. This includes your manual, these safety guidelines, any posted information or any other information provided to by your TA.
- Always wear safety glasses (including during check-in and check-out), except when their removal has been specifically authorized by the TA prior to their removal. Contact lenses are forbidden. You must also wear a face shield when requested to by the TA.
- You must wear a lab coat (and do it up) in all Chemistry labs.
- Footwear must completely cover the foot and heel (no sandals, baby dolls, ballet flats, mules, open-toed footwear, etc.).
- You must wear long pants (no shorts, capris, skirts, or dresses).
- If you arrive at your Chemistry lab and do not have the required clothing, you will be directed to rent or purchase missing items (glasses, lab coats, disposable foot coverings and long pants) from Chemistry Stores before you will be allowed to participate in the lab.
- Loose hair must be tied back so as to be out of the way. Dangling jewellery must be removed.
- Do not eat or drink in the lab.
- Visitors are not allowed to be in the lab.
- Please keep your work area and the common work areas tidy. Also, please make sure the aisles, safety showers, eyewash stations and doorways are unobstructed.
- Please leave all glassware, equipment, tools, etc. as clean or cleaner than you found them.
- Please clean up spills immediately. If the spill is large or is of a hazardous material, inform the TA immediately. Use spill mix to absorb solvent or caustic liquids.
- Please dispose of waste properly and in a timely manner and according to the instructions provided in your lab manual. If you are not sure, please ask your TA for the proper method of disposal.
- Wash your hands before you leave the lab.
- Do not remove chemicals or equipment from the lab except when required to do so for analysis.
- Please notify your TA of any serious medical conditions.
- Do not wear earbuds or earphones while in the lab.
- The vapours of many organic solvents are flammable or combustible. Do not expose electric sparks, open flames and heating elements to organic solvent vapours. UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED, ASSUME ALL ORGANIC SOLVENTS ARE FLAMMABLE.
- Many chemicals (solid, liquid or vapour) are poisonous. Do not taste chemicals. If it is necessary to smell a chemical, do so by fanning the vapours towards your nose. Never inhale directly. Avoid inhaling dust or fine powders. Use fume hoods and personal protective equipment when necessary.
- Do not pipet with your mouth.
- Be extremely careful when transferring, distilling or refluxing volatile liquids.
- Do not return used chemicals back to the stock container.
- Do not tap flasks under vacuum.
- Do not heat, measure or mix any chemicals in front of your face.
- Never heat a closed system – it will act as a bomb!
- Never pour water into concentrated acid. Pour acid slowly into water, stirring constantly. Mixing acid with water is often exothermic.
- Concentrated acids and bases are stored in the fume hood. Do not carry them to your bench.
- Make sure test tubes containing reactions are pointed away from people, especially when they are being heated. Pressurized gas cylinders must only be operated by the TA.
1) All students must make use of the library facility to enrich their academic excellence.
2) Only enrolled students are allowed to enter the college library on the strength of a valid Identity Card , which must be produced as and when it is demanded by the library staff or college teaching staff.
3) Complete silence must be maintained in & near the library .
4) Students should not bring Walkman/ Music players or any electronic instruments and any eatables inside the library . Using the cell phone in the library is strictly prohibited.
5) Infringement of the library rules will result in the withdrawal of the library from the student.
6) All cases of the violation of rules will be reported to the Principal for suitable action .
7) In case of any difficulty readers can approach the Librarian .
8) Co- operation of the students is earnestly sought in observing the rules.
1) Library book will be issued to the regular students for home lending only for 15 days.
2) One book will be issued for home lending the library card . Pure reference books , issues of periodicals , magazines , and news papers will not be allowed out of the library or for home lending .
3) The book issued for home reading must be return to the library within 15 days
4) A fine will be charged for every day of delay . Persistent delay in returning the charging the fine , Sundays and holidays will be considered .
5) The book may be issued for 2 week provided there is no demand for the book from other students.
6) Book newly acquired for library will be available for reading in the study room as soon as they are ready for us.
1) Book will be issued for reading in the reading room in the library on producing the Identity Card . Books are not to be taken out of the library on any account . Infringement of this rule will make the defaulter liable to an automatic forfeiture or the Identity Card .
2) At the time the book is issued for reading in the reading room or for home reading , the student must satisfy himself / herself that the book is not damaged or that the pages are not missing or torn . If there is a damage or loss of pages or torn of pages , it must be brought to the notice of the library staff . Otherwise they will be held responsible for any damage , loss , or torn pages.
BOOKS DAMAGED OR LOST OR TORN PAGES
1) If the book is lost or damaged by the students or if the pages are missing from the book , the value of the book shall have to be paid at the current price . If the book is rare or out of print & the cost of the book is too low , amount decided by the principal must be paid.
2) Enrolled students and the teaching staff can use the library . No Ex – student or no outsider will be allowed to use the library except by the Principal